Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Veronica Urbana on “The Dr. Phil Show”??

The strangest thing just happened to me recently. While on vacation, I had checked my Gmail account and found an e-mail from a producer on the “Dr. Phil Show” who had wanted me to a guest on a special episode they were doing about women and the reasons why they had sex. This particular producer had read my blog (yes, this blog) and wanted me to fly to Los Angeles to do a taping with a bunch of other women discussing the 21st century woman’s sexual issues.

The first thing on my mind at that point in time was a lot of skepticism. How could someone out there want MY opinions about sex? I am but a lone writer out in cyberspace, writing about sex, and am part of a throng of thousands out there who do the same thing I do. I don’t have the biggest blog hit-rank on the ‘Web, I’m not as big as, say my idol Abby Lee, I’m just a sex-blog writer who does this as a hobby and that’s basically it. However…

I must admit I was pretty curious. It was tempting to see how far this would go, if this very out-of-the-norm offer was actually real. So I wrote him back…and he responded. He wanted me to fly down to a taping of the “Dr. Phil Show” and talk about my blog and my opinions of sex (which, as all of you know, are many). I was totally going to go for it, except…

I realized that I am an anonymous writer. There are few (and very few, I hope), who know my real identity, and I prefer to keep it that way. There are a lot of reasons why I would wish to remain anonymous (the obvious reason being that I wouldn’t want to be harassed/discriminated/disowned by friends/family/acquaintances/bosses/co-workers who would probably be appalled by my behavior and would rather think I was a “dirty slut” and needed to pray to Jesus/Allah/Buddha/Krishna/etc. to wash my sin away, in that retrospect) and it would be hard to keep myself anonymous on that show. On the flip side of the coin, the chance to promote this blog and to have more readers would be a great thing, to somehow make some mark in this world. Plus, a free trip to LA, including airfare/hotel/food sounded really hard to resist. It just sounded like a great experience.

So I debated for a few days. It was difficult to make a decision since I had a lot to weigh. I honestly didn’t want my parents and the majority of my friends to know who I was on that show, and I wanted to spare them that embarrassment of seeing their only daughter broadcasted on national television that she was a sex experimentalist. It was not something that I wanted them to do, and coming from an Asian background, they would lose so much face that I would rather spare them the embarrassment. So I would only go on the show IF they could completely make me anonymous (blacking out my face and changing my voice). And I was ready for the go and to sign the dotted line, until I got a call back from the producer and they unfortunately changed the whole format of the episode to just be married couples with sex problems. In a way, they made my decision for me, which definitely made me very relieved. Although, they still have my contact information, just in case the idea is placed back on the table, and it’ll give me more time to think about things, digest the possibility of going on TV about my blog, and also add more content on these pages as I add more fans of this blog.

So this is to all my readers – for any of you who know who I am/know what I look like, etc., I implore you: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT RELEASE ANY OF MY PERSONAL INFORMATION!! I wish to remain anonymous for a reason, and if someone “OUTS” me, NOT ONLY WILL I CLOSE DOWN THIS SITE FOREVER, BUT I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN AND STALK YOU LIKE SOME CRAZY EX-LOVER WHO WILL NEVER LET YOU GO!! And of course none of you want that, since I know you all love the content I place on this page…

And that is the story of how I almost ended up on the Dr. Phil Show. How random is that??

Thank you for listening, I will have more soon! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions or Comments? Leave them here!